Velocity Care shares different ways to work out
As you get older, you may spend more time sitting in front of a desk or in front of a screen – computer, TV or movie – and you may spend less time being active. For many people, exercising can be a dreaded task. If you make it fun, you may not realize how much exercise you are really getting, and you can greatly improve your health.
We compiled a list of different ways that you can get back to exercising while having fun!
Revisit your childhood
Some of your childhood favorites can help you have the most fun and get you exercising without it feeling like a chore.
- Hula-hoop. Consider purchasing a weighted hula-hoop and take it for a spin! About 30 minutes of hula-hooping can burn 200 calories. You can use a hula-hoop to work out your arms and stretch too.
- Trampoline. A growing trend for kids and adults to be active is through an indoor trampoline arena. Jumping at an indoor trampoline arena is one way to exercise that you may not have realized is really exercise. Rebounderz Indoor Trampoline Arena is one such company that even offers AirXercise classes.
Movement is a key part of exercising.
- Dancing. Find a partner and get dancing. Whether you sign up for a couples’ salsa class or join another dance-related class like Zumba or Dance Trance, getting your body moving allows you to have fun while listening to some of your favorite tunes.
- Kickboxing. This is another exercise activity that is gaining popularity. For women who want those sculpted arms like Cameron Diaz or Kelly Ripa, this is a great option. It builds strength and confidence.
- Fun races. We are talking about those races where your finish time doesn’t matter. These races are about getting a group of friends together to make the event enjoyable, like a glow run at night or a color run.
Compete for fun
Enjoying a little competition can make that workout more fun.
- Intramural leagues. Search for local MeetUp groups or inquire through your church or work to join a volleyball team. If volleyball isn’t your style, other offerings often include softball, baseball or basketball.
- Obstacle races. Obstacle course races, such as the Tough Mudder, Spartan Race and BattleFrog, are gaining in popularity. They get you moving in creative or unusual ways, like climbing walls or army crawling under barbed wire. These races require a great deal of determination, and at the end, you will feel truly proud of your accomplishment.
Exercise doesn’t have to be a ritual of going to the gym or on a run. Simply get moving!
If you find that your outside-the-box exercise makes your asthma flare up or you sprain an ankle or suffer another health issue, the team at Velocity Care Urgent Treatment Center is here to help. We are your neighborhood walk-in urgent care clinic, providing care for individuals and families who lead busy lives and want to avoid the emergency room wait.
Photo credit: 123RF Stock Photo
This site offers medical, health, fitness and nutritional information and is designed for educational purposes only. General information found on this website is not intended to diagnose any medical condition or to replace your health care professional.