A checklist to help you give age-appropriate, safe toys and gifts for children
While toys are fun for children of all ages, careless purchasing decisions can have harmful consequences. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, hospital emergency rooms across the U.S. treated an estimated 251,800 toy-related injuries in 2014.
December is “Safe Toys and Gifts Awareness Month.” Prepare for a safe gift-giving season by reviewing these eight tips before you shop.
- Check age appropriateness on the toy packaging before purchasing.
- Inspect all toys before purchasing; steer clear of giving a toy with parts that shoot off or that has sharp edges.
- To see if a toy passed a safety inspection, check for an ASTM label, which ensures it meets the standards set by the American Society for Testing and Materials.
- Only give crayons and markers labeled non-toxic.
- For younger children, consider purchasing a small-parts tester or using a toilet paper roll – if a toy or part can pass through it then it’s too small for a child under 3 years old.
- Avoid purchasing gifts with long cords, straps or strings, as they can be a strangulation hazard.
- Include a safety helmet for gifts such as skates, bikes, skateboards or other riding toys. According to the CPSC, riding toys were associated with seven out of the 11 deaths in 2014.
- When your child receives a toy as a gift, check the ages listed on the box with your own child’s abilities.
Stay on top of recalls for your children’s toys and any products within your home with this list of current recalls from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.An urgent care clinic can treat health-related issues resulting from unsafe toys including eye problems, X-rays, rashes and lacerations. With the gift-giving season upon us, it’s important to keep in mind the safety risks toys may pose for children. It’s better to err on the side of caution when buying gifts for loved ones. Give safe toys as gifts to prevent health risks. If you live in the Little Rock, Arkansas area or the areas of Bossier City, Natchitoches and Shreveport, Louisiana, Velocity Care Urgent Treatment Center can provide emergency medical care for your family with little to no wait.
Photo credit: 123RF Stock Photo
This site offers medical, health, fitness and nutritional information and is designed for educational purposes only. General information found on this website is not intended to diagnose any medical condition or to replace your health care professional. If reading after hours, one option for treatment is to seek an urgent care or walk-in clinic for medical advice.