Velocity Care shares information on a lifesaving app
Most people carry their cell phones with them everywhere – from the breakfast table to bed. Since your phone seems to make things easier and you always have it with you, be sure your iPhone is set up to help you in the event of a medical emergency.
Many people have an “In Case of Emergency” (ICE) contact in their phones to call if there is an emergency; however, when your phone is locked with a passcode, it makes it difficult for medical personnel to access your ICE information. With Apple’s updates to its Health App, the more user-friendly Medical ID is available as a detailed version of ICE without the need to unlock your phone.
Medical ID features
The Medical ID is organized to display important medical information, which people can view in case of an emergency. You can edit the information you share in the Medical ID if you don’t feel comfortable with strangers accessing all of your information.
Optional items include:
- Blood type
- Organ donor
- Medical conditions
- Emergency contacts
How to set up a Medical ID
Creating your Medical ID is not only important, it’s also easy to activate. Follow these three simple steps to set up your Medical ID on your iPhone:
- Install the application – First, make sure your iPhone is running at least iOS 8. The Medical ID runs through the Health app, which was introduced as part of iOS 8.
- Create Medical ID – Open the white and red Health app, then select the Medical ID, which is in the bottom right hand corner. Fill out the medical information you want to share with others such as medications, emergency contacts, etc. Click done.
- Edit – If you need to update something, select the Edit icon. It allows you to add any additional information.
How to access the Medical ID
Accessing your Medical ID in an emergency is as easy as creating it.
- If you don’t use a lock passcode for your iPhone, anyone can access your Medical ID by simply opening the Health app to review your information.
- If you do use a lock passcode for your iPhone, anyone can access your Medical ID from the lock screen. Simply select the Emergency icon on the bottom-left of the lock screen; select the Medical ID icon and your medical information appears.
Having a Medical ID could save a person's life; however, not everyone may know how to access Medical ID from your iPhone. Consider also carrying a medical emergency bracelet or ID card in your wallet.
Photo credit: 123RF Stock Photo
This site offers medical, health, fitness and nutritional information and is designed for educational purposes only. General information found on this website is not intended to diagnose any medical condition or to replace your health care professional.