Velocity Care discusses the dangers of mold in your home
Our home is the place that most of us go to escape the stress and worries of the outside world. What many of us don’t realize, however, is that hiding behind our walls and in the unseen corners of our house can be a danger that may actually be hazardous to our health. It is estimated that mold affects close to 25 percent of American homes, and yours could be one of them.
What is mold?
Mold is a type of fungus that grows in warm, moisture-rich environments. It can be any number of different colors, but is most commonly dark green to black. Under the right conditions, mold can spread quite rapidly. Tiny particles of this fungus, called spores, can become airborne and be inhaled, causing numerous, and sometimes severe, health issues.
Why is mold dangerous?
Everyone is exposed to mold spores on a daily basis. Small amounts are found on all of the surfaces that we touch and in all of the air that we breathe. It is usually not harmful when inhaled in low quantities. Exposure to large amounts of mold, however, can cause symptoms such as runny nose or stuffiness, nosebleeds, coughing, sore throat, difficulty breathing, eye irritations, skin irritations and rashes. Some people are extremely sensitive to mold and may experience severe allergic reactions or even anaphylaxis. People suffering from mold exposure are often diagnosed with chronic sinusitis.
Long-term exposure to mold can have severe health consequences. It has been linked to problems such as memory loss, anxiety, depression, chronic and severe breathing problems such as asthma and pneumonia, immune disorders, heart problems and certain types of cancers.
Treatments for mold exposure
The type of treatment that you will receive will depend on the severity of the symptoms you are experiencing. You can usually clear skin irritations and rashes quite easily with a topical medicated cream. Treat allergy symptoms with oral antihistamine tablets, medicated eye drops or nasal sprays. Some breathing problems will resolve with the use of prescription puffers. More serious reactions to mold may require steroid medications, antibiotics or adrenaline injections, and chronic complications from long-term exposure may require more complex and advanced treatment regimens.
One of the most important steps to take is to ensure that you are exposed to the least amount of mold possible. Your symptoms will continue to return and will get worse over time if you don’t remove mold in your home.
If you suspect that you or a loved one is suffering from the symptoms of mold exposure, visit your local Velocity Care Urgent Treatment Center today. One of our doctors will be able to identify the cause of your symptoms and treat your mold-induced illness, getting you back to your best health in no time. Visit www.velocitycare.com/locations to find the walk-in clinic nearest you.
Photo credit: 123RF Stock Photo
This site offers medical, health, fitness and nutritional information and is designed for educational purposes only. General information found on this website is not intended to diagnose any medical condition or to replace your health care professional.