Learn more about the differences between an urgent care center and the emergency room
You have just sustained an injury or are in acute pain. Perhaps your child has a fever and your regular doctor’s office is closed. If you’re like most people, you think you need to head to the emergency room of your nearest hospital. If you’re in North Louisiana there is probably a Velocity Care Urgent Treatment Center close by, and we can help.
Emergency rooms are time-consuming and expensive. In most cases, you will pay up to three times more for a visit to the ER than a primary care physician. Of course, if your situation is life threatening, you should call 911 and get to a hospital. However, for non-life threatening situations, an urgent care center, like Velocity Care, is a better option.
Services performed at Velocity Care
We are staffed with ER physicians and ER-trained midlevel providers. When your primary care doctor is unavailable and you need care quickly, Velocity Care can fill the gap.
Velocity Care can:
- Repair lacerations with glue, staples or sutures depending on the wound.
- Administer IV antibiotics to help patients avoid a costly hospital stay.
- X-ray broken bones on site, place a splint and refer patients to an orthopedist.
- Drain abscesses.
- Treat migraines.
- Manage repeat issues where the diagnosis is already known, such as a child with frequent ear infections.
- Patients can purchase doctor-recommended OTC meds.
The following are situations when you should go directly to the ER
- Difficulty breathing.
- Severe chest pain and other symptoms of a possible heart attack.
- Confusion, paralysis, difficulty speaking and any of the conditions that could signify a stroke.
- Vaginal bleeding if pregnant.
- Vision changes or loss.
- Fever or other difficulties with a newborn 3 months old or younger.
- Snake bites.
Why choose Velocity Care over the emergency room?
If you or a loved one needs medical attention, it can be difficult to know how to provide the right care, especially since you are likely stressed. One good rule of thumb: If you are considering the emergency room just because your doctor’s office is closed, an urgent care facility like Velocity Care can almost certainly handle the issue.At Velocity Care Urgent Treatment Center, you get emergency room treatment without the emergency room wait. Our trained, caring physicians are ready to provide exceptional, efficient care when you need it most. Visit one of our walk-in clinics in Shreveport or Bossier City today for the best treatment options available.
Photo credit: 123RF Stock Photo
This site offers medical, health, fitness and nutritional information and is designed for educational purposes only. General information found on this website is not intended to diagnose any medical condition or to replace your health care professional. If reading after hours, one option for treatment is to seek an urgent care or walk-in clinic for medical advice.